Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Preparing for my 40th Wedding Anniversary

I can't think of anybody else I would write this to. So here goes.

40 years ago last Saturday I arrived in Indy from Hawaii. Marilyn met me there, driving my GTO which my parents had so nicely lent to her. (She told me later that it was really fast climbing hills on the road between Nashville and Columbus. How I wish I had kept that car. My Dad sold it for us a few years later to a restorer of muscle cars. $700, I think. Yikes.)

When I opened the trunk to put my luggage in, there was a big welcome home sign made by Jim and Judie Lahr. I met Jim in 3rd grade, we went all the way through high school and college together. We spent a lot of time with them after we came back from Hawaii and moved to Columbus.

We drove to Lafayette and spent a couple of days there, and of course we have movies of that. Frannie was there with Julie, and Peggy was there as well, with Lesli and Trevor.

On the 3rd of July, (today), we drove to Huntingburg, where I met Marilyn's parents, and we stayed there until the wedding. We had a cookout on the 4th, and of course we have movies of that too. Bob and Daryl were there, as were Bob's wife Linda, and their four little girls.

As much as the whole week may seem like a blur, I have crystal clear memories of several things, such as the above, that I'll share as we get closer to the BIG DAY.

By the way, I thought the days of the week were in sync; (1967 and 2007). They are not. We were married on a Saturday.

My wedding present to Marilyn was an Elgin watch (which I bought at the PX) and her present to me was a Polaroid camera (which I think Chris has that now).

I brought Hawaiian Leis with me, and put them in the fridge in Lafayette and in Huntingburg. Saving them for the rehearsal dinner!

Sunday will be a lot of fun!

Mucho love to all you guys,

Dad/Greg/Whatever.....

No comments: